Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Patience

To teach is to learn twice over. ~Joseph Joubert


I’ve wanted to teach since my junior year of college, when it was too late to start working on a teaching license.  Getting a license in the state of New Mexico is quite a pain after you get out of college, and I’m afraid I don’t have very much patience sometimes.  However, as of today (well, as long as I pass a background check) I get to be a substitute teacher for a private Christian school here in Albuquerque!  




This is quite an answer to prayer.  After quitting my job at RAA, I really had no idea what to do.  I’ve been applying for part time assistant/receptionist jobs on Craigslist since the beginning of January, but I really don’t enjoy office jobs.  Jed and I started our own business offering web design and tech support (check it out here), but I don’t know very much about how to provide the services we offer, and we don’t need a lot of administration stuff just yet so I’ve been floundering a little.  (I do hope to learn all that stuff eventually, but it will take practice and time.) 


So, last week, my good friend Emmy texted me and told me how she was going to start subbing at this Christian school, and that they were still looking for subs.  She gave the name of the principal I could contact, so I e-mailed him my resume and a cover letter telling him how much I wanted to teach.  I thought nothing would come of it really, especially after I’d sent out so many resumes with so few results, but yesterday, I got a call, today I had an interview, and today I got the job (pending background check).  What was even neater was that they were really excited to have me since I have a math background, and they assured me I’d probably get called in to sub quite a bit with that experience.  (I guess math degrees do come in handy after all.) 


That’s what I’ll be up to this year.  It always amazes me how things can fall neatly into place if one waits patiently enough. 


“Be still before the Lord and wait patiently for him.” Psalm 37:7



1 comment: